MARY ANN SHEA, JD, BS, RN
Ms Shea is a Registered Nurse and an Attorney. She has been an RN for 29 years and has been an Attorney
for 20 years. She has written several chapters related to medical/legal issues in nursing textbooks, nursing journal
articles, and a self study risk management manual for nurses. Ms Shea has given hundreds of presentations to nurses
and other health care providers around the USA about how to avoid getting sued. Ms Shea currently practices as a medical/legal
consultant, assisting attorneys in evaluating medical records, identifying and evaluating standards of care, and identifying
deviations from standards of care.
This seminar is for nurses who may have to testify on their own behalf or on behalf of a colleague. The goal of
the seminar is to demystify the legal system and explain the art and science of testifying.
During the workshop, nurses will learn to
- Identify the qualifications of an expert witness
- Learn what to expect when testifying
- Learn how to testify and answer attorney's questions
- Identify the lethal mistakes some experts make
- Learn the crucial importance of comprehensive documentation
- Obtain a brief overview of the role of a legal nurse consultant
The seminar is being sponsored by the Denver Colorado Chapter of the American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants.